The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Accra

In the morning, Joanna, Jennfier, and I all hopped aboard a tro-tro (passenger van used for public transport) to go to work. My firsy impression of Accra in the daylight was of a large city, many poeple, intense light, and busy traffic-- I quickly dismissed my idea of renting a bike for my stay. On a personal note, I seemed to thrive on the fact that I may be the only person I see for long periods of time. I enjoy stepping outside of my "ordinary life" and into something new. Plus I have always felt a bit of an outsider, perhaps due to my introverted personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment