The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Sunday, May 9, 2010

A walk through Nima neighborhood

Sunday evening Joanna arranged for an acquaintance, Nathaniel, to give me a tour of our neighborhood-- Nima. Nima is one of the poorer neighborhoods of Accra and is home to Muslims, Christians, and Traditionalists. We turned off Kanda Highway onto a narrow dirt road, into the center of Nima. Loud music announced the large wedding party ahead of us. At least eighty women were sitting in plastic chairs arranged in a circle outdoors, all dressed up in beautiful formal dresses. Inside the circle three women danced slowly, two dropping money while a third (the bride?) picked it up. Life continued on the streets-- children, men, vendors. I was struck by the open sewers and the smells but no one else seemed to take notice, they were just having a good time.

It was difficult but I kept my camera in my bag. Pity the poor ignorant tourist who tried to take pictures of this scene.

From the wedding celebration we headed to the Nima Market. Since it was Sunday the market had few customers and few vendors. We did walk through the butcher area. All I can say is, if I was not already a vegetarian I would be now. Cultural differences? Maybe. But the goats head on display next to the meat really reminds one that they are eating something that was alive that morning. Much more personal. So unlike our packaged, sterile, and anonymous meat departments in the United States.

I plan on walking to the Nima Market on my own later in the visit. So far, the vast majority of people have been kind and helpful. Vendors try to get my attention to purchase items and sometimes men try and strike up conversations in order to work with me as a guide. A simple strategy that seems to work is to have a small smile (but try not to look insane) and ignore the vendors and men. Save my greetings for the women and children. And a handshake, smile, and greeting to anyone with whom I do speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment