The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Arrival in Ghana

On May 2, the day of departure, John, I, and our friends Walton and Mary Ellis rode our bikes 50 miles through the boroughs of NYC. It was an organized ride with 32,000 riders. The ride was a lot of fun but tiring, especially right before a 13 hour evening flight. I arrived in Accra, Ghana, the evening of May 3 and was greeted at the airport by Joanna, the first Ghanaian OCLF librarian, her daughter Jennfier, and our driver, Kwame. I felt comfortable and welcomed from the moment of my arrival. And yes, it is incredibly hot, especially after our snowy winter in Boone but I am quickly adapting.

That night I was in a deep sleep when I heard a man singing over a loud speaker. The singing was pleasant but puzzling. I think I was too sleepy to give it too much thought... the next morning Joanna explained that a Muslim mosque is acorss the street and what i heard was the 3 a.m. call to prayer. I have to admit, I think this is too cool-- very exotic to these Kansas-born ears. It is estimated that 60 percent of Ghanians are Christian and at least 25 percent are Muslim.

No comments:

Post a Comment