The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Friday, May 14, 2010

Covering books, cleaning the library, and washing our hands

This morning Joanna instructed me in the art of covering books with plastic. Only two months ago I was receiving instruction from Greta back in the U.S. on how to laminate paperbacks to take to Bolivia. Covering the books here is so important in maintaining clean and functional reading materials. For someone who has never experienced life in an economically challenged country, the dirt and grime can be difficult to imagine. Ghanaians spend a lot of effort combating dirt and its effects. On Monday morning Joanna, Enoch, Foster, and I all washed every book in the Library, every puzzle, and every shelf. Joanna swept and mopped the floor.


Further efforts to combat the dirt attack is to remove our shoes upon entering the Library and placing them on a shelf. Then we go to the basin and wash our hands. Even these measures do not result in clean books. I consider myself to be a tidy enough individual but my notebook gets grimier every day. It's beginning to look quite impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment