The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Friday, May 7, 2010

Last Day of School Break Program

Today was the last day for the school break program at the Kathy Knowles Library. For one month during the school break, Joanna and her staff invite children to come on Monday-Wednesday-Friday mornings for lessons, projects, and reading. I counted approximately 24 students attending. The library also furnished lunch-- on Wednesday it was bread with either margarine or peanut butter. I chose the peanut butter and it was delicious. But today was the last day of the program so there was a special treat of cold drinks and biscuits! As well as a pencil and pen for each child.

We also worked on creating books. After the teachers stapled together five pieces of white paper and one piece of sturdier red paper for the cover, the kids went to work writing and illustrating their books. Joanna let me work with the 'good friends" group- the seven-nine year olds. These kids are really amazing, 'A' is a very good reader and wants to become a librarian. 'K' is one of the brightest AND one of the most mischievious. 'E' can quote me Kathy Knowles books by heart. I loved working with them but it was also one of the most demanding jobs I have ever performed. I think this month will give me a new respect for teachers/children's librarians/ and media coordinators all around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment