The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Padmore Library, Ghana Library Board, and the Osu Library

Foster and Coretta at the Tomb of George Padmore behind the George Padmore Research Library on African Affairs


Today I went to visit three public libraries and the Ghana Library Board with Foster, a staff member at the Kathy Knowles Library. Foster is currently completing his national service and will be working with OCLF until July. He has also worked at the Ghana Library Board in the past, allowing us to see some of the behind-the-scenes action (Cataloging Room!). The three public libraries we visited were the George Padmore Research Library on African Affairs, the Ghana Library Board's main library, and the Osu Children's Library. All of these libraries are in Accra. I also had the opportunity to meet with the Director of the Ghana Library Board, Mr. Adjei Apenten, a fellow doctorate candidate. He provided me with a general history of libraries and librarianship in Ghana, as well as a brief description of the Ghana Library Board


I learned so much today about public libraries in Accra that I have created separate 'pages' for the different libraries. These pages can be found on the left sideboard, under the 'Flickr Photostream' gadget.

No comments:

Post a Comment