The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Weekend adventures, cont.

Caught a group taxi back to Elmina and took a siesta in the air-conditioning. It was so wonderful and I realize how fortunate I am to have biscuits, candy, and a diet coke in an air-conditioned hotel room. What are simple and expected pleasures in the United States are almost extravagant here.

After my rest I headed back out to visit Elmina Castle and Elmina Fort. The castle is very much like the one in Cape Coast. What I really enjoyed was exploring the fort overlooking Elmina. John, my guide, showed me the fort with its bats, fantastic views, narrow and steep stairs, and a large european-style bathtub tipped over on its side (?).

I had dinner at the hotel, ground nut stew and fried plantain. Early to bed and out early the next morning to catch a bus to Accra.

My favorite experiences this weekend: the colors of the boats and fishing nets in the harbour; my tour guide Erik and his story-telling; the view from the top of Elmina Fort; getting up early Saturday morning to take pictures; the fact that even though I was feeling apprehensive about the trip I did not let that keep me from a great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment