The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Today the Du Bois Centre, tomorrow Goi


First thing I want to write, as of tomorrow, my blog will be on hold for a week while I visit the OCLF library in Goi, a small fishing village east of Accra. I will not be taking my laptop with me for several reasons: I'm not sure my modem would work; I want to leave my laptop here for Jennifer (to further corrupt her into joining the cybergeneration) and Joanna (who is writing an acceptance speech for the IBBY award to be presented to OCLF in Spain, September, 2010); and to prove to myself that I can survive a week in Ghana sans computer. I mean, com'on, laptop and modem in fishing village? I'm not THAT connected.


I suspect that Goi will be a photographer's dream and plan on posting many pictures and stories to my blog upon my return.


Now, about today. I did work this morning at the Nima Library. I really enjoyed having a group of kids read to me for two hours. We had various levels of reading ability; from excellent to beginner. Some of the beginner kids do a great job "reading" Kathy's books. And I don't have to correct anyone, the kids correct one another.


After my long work day (I was done by noon), I headed out to find the W.E.B. Du Bois Centre. Du Bois was the first African-American to graduate from Harvard and is considered to be the founder of Pan-Africanism. He was also tried by the House Committee on Un-American Affairs for alleged communist sympathies in the 1950s. This could have served to encourage Du Bois to accept the invitation of President Nkrumah to move to Ghana in 1961.



The Centre includes the home of Du Bois from 1961 until his death in 1963 as well as his tomb. The museum is simple; Du Bois' personal library, a room with photographs and a few artifacts (Du Bois' graduation robes from Harvard, his dinner ware, diplomas...) and the public research library. His personal library is under lock and key but the research library is open to the public. I would guess they have about four hundred books (many recent publications) about Du Bois, Africa, and Pan-Africanism.
Photo to the right; A section of Du Bois' personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment