The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

'Let's Hold Hands' project at Kathy Knowles Library

Today at the Kathy Knowles Library I presented the 'Let's Hold Hands' story and art project to the kids. I read aloud the book Into the Wind illustrated by Susan Roth, a much shorter version of Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea. Greg Mortenson has been very successful in building school and libraries in Pakistan and Afghanistan, a mission very similar to Kathy's success with building libraries here in Ghana. After reading the book, I talked a bit about the collage style of the artwork, explaining how the illustrations in the book are scraps of paper, cloth, and other items we might normally throw away as waste. Next I gave each child their own paper doll and let them make their own small person using the fabric, paper, beads, yarn, and recycled items that I had brought with me from the United States.

I had also brought with me a number of dolls created by children in the United States. Each of these dolls included a small bit of information about the child-- their first name, age, school, the city in which they live, and any general information they wished to share. I discussed a bit about the message of peace in Greg's book, in that education and interaction with people from around the world helps us to understand that we can work together in peace. When the kids at the Kathy Knowles Library finished their dolls they also filled out a piece of paper with their information and glued it to the back of the dolls. They all agreed to sending their dolls on a long voyage to the U.S. to meet other children around the world.


The project got a slow start, only about four children were present at the beginning. But soon more and more children came to participate. Soon I had handed out all 24 dolls! I had a lot of fun working with the kids and got some great photos. I do believe the kids absorbed the fact that the dolls were going abroad and I hope to take pictures of their dolls with U.S. kids and send them back to Joanna.
I would like to also thank Jeanne Lawrence for her help with this project and Margaret Gregor for supplying the dolls in a beautiful array of skin colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment