The blog of Beth Cramer, librarian and Doctoral candidate at Appalachian State University, on her month long volunteer stay with the Osu Children's Library Fund (OCLF) in Accra, Ghana.

This blog records my experience through journaling and recording images in photographs and video. My personal story contains descriptions of the operations at OCLF, including my duties as a volunteer; reflections on international library development; and my interactions with the people and culture of Ghana (including weekend adventures).

Monday, May 24, 2010

Arrival in Goi

I arrived in Goi Sunday evening, riding in from Accra with Joanna, Jennifer, and our driver Kwame. We were welcomed by Vivien, the head librarian, and her two children, Rose and Enoch (who also work at the library). Vivien began working with Osu Children's Library Fund in 2001 when Kathy delivered a box of books to her school library. Through the years she has seen the OCLF library move from an abandonned building on the beach to a storeroom in the school to its present location-- a beautiful and functional building built with OCLF funds, completed in 2008.


The building is beautiful, as are all the OCLF libraries, but what really gives life to the Kathy Knowles Community in Goi are the people. Vivien is a natural librarian. Her love of books and reading is obvious in the wonderful book collection (comic books, African writers' series, textbooks, and international picture books), her ability to mesmerize the kids with her story time, and the asssortment of activities available. Rose and Enoch are also involved with the library, tutoring students, supervising activities, managing the library football team, or teaching the evening adult literacy classes.



My living accomodations for the week are the guest quarters in the rear of the library. I feel priveleged to have a fan, indoor toilet, and my own kitchen with hotplate and sink. My second evening we had no electricity and Rose was kind enough to show me how to use the brazier with charcoal to cook my dinner. As I walk out the door, lizards scurry about ahead of me. Drums and an occasional gunshot is heard, all part of a muslim celebration down the street. People are quick to meet my smile and greeting with their own. Everyone ready to help me find my way through the houses to the water. I have already walked along the coast a couple of times, boats and beach are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment